Şakir Özkan Torunlar
Designation: Ambassador of the republic of Turkey to India
Award Name: Leaders of Decade in Diplomacy and Public Life
Born in Mersin, Turkey, in 1960.
– Graduated from TED Ankara College, 1977.
– Graduated from Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Ankara, 1982.
– Joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), 1983.
– Attaché and Third Secretary in the Cabinet of the Minister, MFA, 1983-1986.
– Vice Consul, Consulate General of Turkey, Brussels, Belgium, 1986-1989.
– Second Secretary and First Secretary and DCM, Turkish Embassy, Tripoli, Libya, 1989 -1991.
– First Secretary, Department of Administrative and Financial Affairs, MFA, 1991-1993.
– First Secretary and Counsellor, Turkish Embassy, London, United Kingdom, 1993 -1997.
– Consul General, Komotini, Greece, 1997-1999.
– Head of Department, Relations with Greece, MFA, 1999-2001.
– Counsellor and First Counsellor and DCM, Turkish Embassy, Baghdad, Iraq, 2001-2003.
– First Counsellor and DCM, Turkish Embassy, Athens, Greece, 2003 -2005.
– Head of Department, Relations with Greece, MFA, 2005.
– Minister Plenipotentiary and Deputy Director General for Middle East and North Africa, MFA, 2005-2007.
– Minister Plenipotentiary and Deputy Director General for Security Affairs, MFA, 2007-2008.
– Ambassador, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2008-2010.
– Accredited to the Kingdom of Bhutan as Ambassador, 2008-2010.
– Chairman of the Governing Board of the Islamic University of Technology (IUT), Gazipur, Bangladesh, 2008-2010.
– Consul General, Ambassador, Jerusalem, 2010-2013.
– Ambassador to the State of Palestine, 2013.
– Director General for South Asia, MFA, 2013-2017
– Ambassador to India, Bhutan, Maldives and Nepal, January 2017-today
– Holder of “Star of Jerusalem Order” granted by the President of the State of Palestine.
– Speaks English, French.
– Married, one son.